Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Writing


Last year was a good year for me in relation to my writing. My first play I wrote - a monologue I'd put on one side for a few years - 'The Quiet Room' - was performed by Phoenix Theatre Works, a theatre company based in Belmullet, Co. Mayo, Ireland.

I also began writing my first novel - and still am I hasten to add - but have a long way to go yet. I am pleasantly surprised though to find I have a synopsis and a few chapters written after a few months. I won't go into the plot here as that would spoil the surprise and doubtless stop me completing it.

I will admit that I have to discipline myself to put the time in. But I think that is a neccessity of all writers. Time and time again I have heard the only way to write is to write - to put the hours in - so many words per day, which eventually adds up to the finished novel. Don't stop your 'session' until you have completed x number of words or pages. It all boils down to maths in the end. In my own, albeit limited, experience of novel writing there is no way of dodging it. In order to write you have to sit down and write. There's no other way of doing it. That applies to all writing, period.

So, now that I have filled my calendar with novel-writing commitments I anticipate making swift progress in the coming months. But, then again, I always was an optimist.

By the way, the world just became a better place to live in since Barack Obama was inaugerated. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment