Saturday, November 19, 2011

A HERMIT IN PARADISE


I'm currently busy working away on a number of writing projects, one of them being my next book collection of poems titled 'A Hermit In Paradise' to be published by Sea Eagle Poetry and launched in summer 2012 on Achill - venue to be decided.
It will be 3 years in May 2012 since my 1st full book collection 'The Ordinary Miracle' was launched by the Achill Heinrich Boll Committee.
One of my other projects is a book of 'We Are Islanders - Selected Early Poems' that is the result of condensing four early chap books of mine into this 60-poem collection. Launch dates to be announced.
It seems forever since I read in public, and I must admit I really do enjoy it. I may have to arrange to read some Christmas poems with the Big Day only five weeks away. Anyone out there feel like joining me? I'm serious.
For now here is a poem from the early poems book,
Happy Writing,
Mark



MISSING TREASURES?

Kildavnet lookout tower.
Ebony snakebirds.
Silver sound.
Silver seal heads carve silver wakes
In hill reflections
And hump-backed islands break the surface
Where Irish She-Pirate
Grainne-U-Aille
Once gazed upon.

And I wonder
Still autumn mornings,
Did she notice
The shag drying his wings,
The circling seals,
The Currane hills
And the silver, silver
Swathes of light?

Or did she
Scan horizons
Missing treasures at her feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment