Friday, February 6, 2009

'Weekly Edition' Radio CRC Interview

Last Sunday I was interviewed by Edith Geraghty on her local radio slot - ('Weekly Edition' :5 - 6pm Sundays, repeated Tuesdays at 7 -8pm) - about my life and writing. I must admit, despite Edith being a lovely lady who I have known for a couple of years now, it was still somewhat daunting - a whole hour talking about myself. Okay, it was reassuring to know I would be reading a few of my poems. Even so, because of my nervousness, and because I knew i would be most at ease reading my poems, my plan was to read as many as possible, so that the 'interrogation time' - (in terror?) - would be reduced. But which to read? Old ones; new ones; those that related to what I was going to be talking about? So I took loads. And loads.

In the event I was put totally at ease by Edith, (who, as well as being a natural radio presenter, is also Artistic Director of Phoenix Theatre Works - a voluntary theatre company based in Belmullet here in Co. Mayo). Sat in the room with headphones and microphone facing Edith's warm smile and gentle questioning turned out to be thoroughly enjoyable, and I must admit I was left slightly embarrassed by my initial concerns. Apart from it being good publicity, (an opportunity not to be missed by any writer), the experience was also an altruistic and enhancing one. I would encourage anyone who is asked to appear on Edith's programme on CRC Castlebar local radio, 102.9fm, to agree unreservedly without hesitation. It was one of the most enjoyable ways I have ever spent an hour. I was even told I had a lovely baritone voice - so now you know! Now then, I'm telling ya - you heard it here first!

(By the way, Phoenix Theatre Works gave three performances of my first play, 'The Quiet Room', at the new arts centre, Belmullet, in April 2008. I am currently in the process of writing a new full-length play for them).

Edith Geraghty works tirelessly for the local Belmullet community raising money for various charities, (especially the Irish Wheelchair Association and the Lifeboat Association), through the Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment